A Spirit-Lifting Pairing
It’s a culinary adventure to ease any winter’s chill: a comforting and savory dish paired with the perfect wine.
As the calendar turns to the colder winter months and we collectively rummage up our scarves and hats, so too has Nobilo summoned its wine pairing expertise to offer a hearty cold-weather dish that perfectly complements its summer-evoking Sauvignon Blanc.
Consider a succulent pan-roasted chicken matched with the crisp and juicy Nobilo Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Developed by Michelin Star Chef Matt Lambert, this dish features a rich egg yolk confit and the earthy snap of asparagus in a dance that calls on the complex and refreshing flavors of a perfectly matched wine. It’s the kind of meal best enjoyed while keeping warm near a hearth.
Nobilo’s Sauvignon Blanc boasts a palate of clean minerality with the zesty flavors of ripe exotic fruits and nettle. A satisfying aroma of pineapple, guava and leafy hints, like freshly cut tomato plant, form an unrivaled tasting experience made possible only by Nobilo’s unique harvesting.
For the perfect blend of acidity and exotic fruit, the grapes of the Nobilo Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc are harvested at night when temperatures are cool. This approach preserves the robust fruit flavors that are signature to this blend. Careful selection from a variety of Nobilo’s Wairau and Awatere vineyards ensures that the Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc has both complex and harmonious flavors that will instantly excite your taste buds.
A blissful pairing, isn’t it? Now you’ll be ready to power through winter with a full stomach and high spirits.
Refer To Chef Matt Lambert’s Recipe Below:
4 chicken breasts
Zest of 2 lemons
4 sprigs of thyme
1 sprig of rosemary
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
6 Tbsp butter
2 bunches asparagus
(6-10 spears per person)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
2 Tbsp finely chopped chives
4 egg yolks
1 cup olive oil
4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
2 Tbsp chopped chives
• Lightly season the chicken with salt and about 2 Tbsp olive oil. Roll each chicken breast into a tight cylinder, wrap in plastic wrap and tie the ends of the plastic to seal.
• Poach the chicken breasts in 180°F/80°C water for 60 minutes. Remove from plastic and pat dry.
• Roast the chicken breast rolls in a medium-hot pan to achieve a golden-brown sear on the skin. Add 2 Tbsp butter and bring to a brown foamy stage. Add lemon zest, thyme and rosemary. Spoon liberally over the chicken.
• Remove and let stand.
• In a hot pan, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and sauté the asparagus until golden brown. Season with salt and add 2 Tbsp each of chopped parsley and chives just before removing the asparagus from the heat.
• Separate 4 egg yolks and submerge the yolks in a small, oven-safe container of olive oil, about 1 cup. Cook for 1 hour at 140°F/60°C.
• Cook chicken stock over low heat until reduced to about 1/2 cup. Add 1 Tbsp of butter and stir until the stock reaches a smooth, slightly thickened consistency.
For each serving, trim the ends from one chicken breast roll and slice into 4 pieces, one larger than the others, and arrange the pieces end-up on a deep serving plate.
Place the roasted asparagus gently on top of the three smaller chicken pieces. Take the dandelion greens and, in a small bowl, mix with 2 Tbsp each of olive oil, chopped parsley and chives. Once tossed, stack the greens on top of the chicken and asparagus.
Remove an egg yolk from the oil using a slotted spoon and place it on top of the large chicken piece. Sprinkle lightly with salt and chives.
Pour about 2 Tbsp of the chicken jus on the center of the dish, allowing it to run down under the roasted chicken and create a small pool of sauce.
Visit Nobilo’s website for an instructional video.